Friday, May 9, 2014

How Dreadfully Common


What do you take me for: some kind of commoner? There are certain things that are beneath me and that I simply will not deign to do.

At a local marketplace recently, I paid for my purchases (which included vegetable oil, bananas and Butterfingers) but developed a serious care of the butterfingers and dropped several silver and copper coins on the floor. The checkout maiden pointed out my error and inquired whether I would stoop to retrieve my change.

Madam, I chortle at your suggestion. I shall not exert my kneecaps by bending them and I shall certainly not dirty my dainty fingertips by brushing the floor. Heaven forfend. The coins are simply not worth my efforts at retrieval. Were it a few $100 bills or some spare Krugerrands, I might consider picking them off the floor (or at least delegating the duty to someone else).

But for spare change? It is to laugh. I am not one of the hoi polloi, grubbing for petty cash. Leave it that some wretch in some dire workhouse might discover it.

Furthermore, you must know that I simply will not turn my head to see something. I can hardly strain my neck so everything presented to me must be in my immediate field of vision or it cannot expect to be scene.

You cannot imagine how many times I’ve been seated at an inaugural ball or coronation and been expected to whip my head around or, God forbid, move my chair like some common gutter trash, just because the presentation is going on behind me. The indignity is staggering. If you simply must present something behind my back, like a sunset or a rare bird, do not expect me to view it.

I mean, honestly. Turning around? How dreadfully common. 

No comments:

Post a Comment