Friday, October 14, 2016

Self-Checkout Lane


So what’s the consensus on self-checkout lanes at the supermarket? Do we love them? Hate them? Indifferent?

I know a lot of people hate self-checkout but I like it to the point where I don’t want to shop at a supermarket that doesn’t have it. There can be some annoying problems, like when I get a “remove items” message when I didn’t place anything on the scale, but mostly it’s efficient. The lines are shorter and I can bag my own groceries in peace.

I had an annoying experience at the Acme near us last week. Normally I go to Shoprite to do my weekly shopping because it’s cheaper and on the way home from work. I ended up at Acme because I was already in the shopping center and figured it was easier to go there. It was like a symphony of inconvenience.

I stopped going there because that particular Acme seemed unusually expensive. I’d buy chicken or something and it was a few dollars more expensive for no reason compared to the same brand elsewhere. Plus it’s one of those small supermarkets and it never has everything I need. I think I was missing four things last week. It wasn’t exotic stuff either — they only had beef canned food for cats instead of the chicken and I usually buy some of each. So it wasn’t the end of the world but it was annoying.

This store had removed all the self-checkouts, which was a deal-breaker for me. Last week when I went, there were about four express lanes open and only one regular lane. I had about 19 items so I had to go in the regular lane. It wasn’t the cashier’s fault that nobody could help her but it didn’t help that it was a laughy, chatty experience in line while my meat was starting to spoil. They sent someone over to help the cashier but she was just bagging groceries. I can bag my own and she would have been better off opening another lane.

I was close to leaving my cart in an aisle and driving out of my way to Shoprite. It would have been quicker. Thank you for listening to my riveting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment