Wednesday, May 10, 2017

There's always some dimwit


up ahead at the front of the line, creating traffic by sheer force of their breezy, unhurried incompetence. “We’ll get the next one,” they chirp as the light turns red while they’re lost on their phone or in a wasteland of thought. “We’ll get there,” they say to any suggestion that just maybe they could do better than they have been.

The dimwit calmly puts change back in a wallet, carefully arranging each dollar, blissfully unaware of the line piling behind. The dimwit assigned to help you knows you are in a hurry but just cannot muster the major act of will required to hurry along just a little.

There’s always some dimwit holding me up. I just know it. I can almost see them in my mind’s eye: with that smile that says, “If you could put an ear next to my head, you would hear the roar of the ocean.”

No comments:

Post a Comment