Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Scroll Down for My Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe!


In these times of isolation, when it seems like everything is awful, many of us are returning to something that brings us comfort: Baking. So I’m going to share with you my tried-and-true chocolate chip cookie recipe, handed down from one generation to another in my family, like a precious jewel.

But first, let me tell you a story about those cookies. Ahh, the smell of chocolate chips wafting through my childhood. My earliest days are filled with this aroma of the gods. I remember Meemaw making these cookies throughout my youth. Meemaw, she lived in a cozy little house on the edge of the woods, right by the river. And she would bake these chocolate chip cookies every Sunday afternoon and all her grandchildren would come over.

And we’d all eat the cookies. When we were done, all the children would say, “Tell us a story, Meemaw!” And Meemaw would tell a story from the Old Country and she’d do a traditional folk dance from her childhood. And we’d dance and clap and sing along with her. She always gave us plenty of cookies to take home with us and those would last until the next Sunday, when we’d enter her house and our senses would be hit with that wonderful aroma once again.

When Meemaw died, she passed that sacred cookie recipe down to us. She wrote several copies of the recipe down on little scrolls of parchment and put them in special wooden boxes. My cousins and I each received a box during a special graveside ceremony. It was so emotional to open those boxes and see the recipe. I could swear the cemetery smelled like chocolate chip cookies that day. Well, that and manure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe it’s my childhood connection with those cookies but I really believe food is the key to our souls and memories. It’s the thing that connects us and binds us. When you sit down at the table to celebrate with your loved ones, there’s always food on the table. Have you every noticed that?

What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags? No. It’s stories. There's nothing in the world more powerful than a good story. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it. And stories about food and family are what get us by, what make life meaningful for us all. I can recall so many stories about food that I’ve told while eating food. One Thanksgiving, my parents regaled us with a story about a cheese fondue they made in the ‘70s where they accidentally added limburger cheese instead of Emmental. The story was so funny that we were squirting gravy out of our noses while hearing about all that cheese! And who can forget when Uncle Nigel talked about that deer he wounded (and then had to kill with his bare hands) over Christmas figgy pudding one year? What a delight!

ADVERTISEMENT

You know, chocolate chip cookies just bring me back to who I am as a person. What’s really important. This idea of belonging. Family. People who can and not people who can’t. People who will always be there for you no matter what. Cookies that will always be there for you no matter what. Butter, flour, eggs and chocolate morsels. Summer days you never wanted to end. That new car smell. The second law of thermodynamics. Swing sets.

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time tozz get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

And I’ve tasted a lot of cookies since my childhood. Oreos. Lorna Doones. EL Fudge. Oatmeal raisin. Thin mints. Hydrox. Snickerdoodles. Macaroons. Macarons. I’ve tasted a lot of cookies, and I’ve learned a lot about myself.

ADVERTISEMENT

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is the judge and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he’ll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, the judge. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

You know, it’s so important to have a sense of community in your community. And that’s one of the things that food can do and one of the things that passing down recipes can do. It’s like you’re giving the next generation a little piece of your soul. When you make food, it’s not just a teaspoon of oil; it’s a tablespoon of caring. It’s not just a quarter-cup of water; it’s half a cup of love.

You’ve got big dreams. You want fame. Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying—in sweat.

Please read on for my special recipe for chocolate chip cookies!


INGREDIENTS

1 package of Nestle’s Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

DIRECTIONS

Open the package of Nestle’s Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

Break apart the pre-scored cookie dough.

Bake according to the directions.

Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment