Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Derail Away


Really, it’s fine! You can go right ahead and make your own spur-of-the-moment alterations to the thing I’ve spent time and effort working on. Just rip up what I’ve already accomplished and throw it in the trash. I’ll just sit here and take it.

If I’ve just cleaned or organized something, feel free to make a mess or ruffle what I’ve just straightened. As long as you do it with a big smile and a devil-may-care attitude, we’re golden.

If I’ve spent time planning an event or project, you just go ahead and derail it entirely and suggest diametrically opposed plans. I’m not offended whatsoever. It will even further endear you to me if you call me “stubborn” for not unquestioningly going along with what you’re trying to force on me.

If I’ve painstakingly worked out a budget or a long-term financial plan, feel free to casually suggest I spend all that money somewhere else. I certainly don’t mind you overturning some apple carts in the name of whatever breezy whim passes through your head.

Most of all, if I’ve organized some piles of paperwork, literal or figurative, on my desk, I’d love it if you came along and just dropped a bunch or crap, literal or figurative, all over that pile and ruin what I worked on. Then pirouette away.

It’s completely fine on every level!

Because you know what’s really important here? Beyond respecting the work I’ve put into something? Your big personality. If you’re brash and/or breezy enough, nobody could possibly object to your taking things over and injecting some welcome last-minute entropy. The problem is always that other people need to loosen up and stop being so rigid, not that you need to be more organized and get your act together rather than swoop in at the eleventh hour and insist everyone go along with you.

So feel free to derail away!

No comments:

Post a Comment