Monday, February 5, 2018

How 'bout them Iggles?


That Super Bowl, and that Eagles season, were both much weirder and wilder than I expected.

We saw the team go to 10–1 and rising superstar Carson Wentz get hurt. Then there were all the questions about how Nick Foles would perform in the clutch. Then the Eagles were underdogs as the number one seed. Then they squeaked by the Falcons. Then the team and Foles had that insane performance against Minnesota. Last night they had an even more insane performance on the biggest stage in football.

A defibrillator would have been a good investment for last night. I was sort of cheering and pacing most of the game. The Eagles looked good, really good, but I was nervous when they fell behind just a little. I flipped out with that strip sack near the end, and was confident we’d win, but I still felt a little like, “Anything can happen. Something weird will happen.”

But it didn’t, and the Eagles are world champions. I certainly didn’t expect a barn burner with 74 combined points and some insane amount of yardage. I really didn’t expect that play (don’t know what it’s called) when Foles caught his own touchdown pass, on fourth down no less.

What a beautiful sight, the Eagles hosting the Lombardi trophy with a blizzard of green and white confetti. What a beautiful sight, the joy of everyone who waited a lifetime for this, waiting through all the close calls and lost seasons.

It’s a little bittersweet to think of my Dad, who would have loved last night, having waited since 1960 to see the Eagles win a championship. How many Sundays did we and Mom sit and watch the Eagles, with my brother somewhere in the crowd on TV? Dad never got to see his team win the Super Bowl, but it makes me happy to think that he, and all those other dads and family who went before all of us, had a great seat up there for the game last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment