Friday, January 4, 2013

Run!


I killed our treadmill. After nearly three years of enduring my constant footfalls, it died last month. It had been making noises and the conveyor belt finally just went askew and snapped. We’re not going to replace it (there are other financial priorities in the next few months and we’d like to redo the basement anyway) so for now it’s folded up downstairs. It had a good run and so did I.

For now, I’ve been running outside. It turns out that it’s noticeably harder to run on the sidewalk than it is on a treadmill. I thought I was a badass for running 2.5 miles four times a week but I am now winded when running a fraction of that up and down Kirkwood Highway. I started a route but have to alternately run and walk it since I can’t run that distance yet.

It’s also a lot colder outdoors than it is in our basement, especially in January. Who knew, right? I was out Wednesday night in below-freezing temperatures and my hands were numb. It’s harder to breathe in that type of cold and when I alternate between walking and running, I also alternate between sweating and shivering.

This is because I don’t have the clothes for running outdoors. I was used to running at home and would just wear shorts and no shirt because why wash extra clothes? I’m not running shirtless in public under any circumstances so I got some moisture wicking shirts. But they’re short sleeves so I still have to wear something long sleeve over them. Track pants were too bulky so I bought those running tights to wear beneath shorts. I didn’t wear gloves but maybe I should have. I also didn’t wear a hat because I hate hats. I’m wearing of wearing accessories because I knew I would just start to sweat halfway through the run. Do I want to be too cold or too hot? Luckily, once it warms up, this won’t be a problem and I can just wear shorts and a T-shirt.

I probably looked like a freak in my hybrid, half-assed running outfit. But it was dark and I don’t care what I look like. I never understood the impulse to look fashionable at the gym because working out is one place where you should prize utilitarianism above all. I probably also looked like a freak the other night: Some guy running down the street on the first day that New Year’s resolutions usually start.

No comments:

Post a Comment