Thursday, May 9, 2013

Aftermath and Afterglow


Our wedding was the best day of my life. I am still a little overwhelmed by the experience, by all the love we felt from our family and friends and by everyone’s generosity.

I had meant to write more about the planning process as it was happening but my mind was so fragmented by everything we had to do that I couldn’t concentrate enough to write anything coherent. A year and a half after I proposed to Steve on a roller coaster overlooking Lake Erie, I finally have some time to reflect on all of it.

Our entire wedding day was perfect. After all my habitual worrying, it all went off without a hitch. When we started planning, I had braced myself for the reality that not everything would be perfect. Of course, the wedding would always be perfect no matter what because Steve became my husband but I didn’t go into planning obsessed with the idea that every detail had to be my way or the highway. Something small would inevitably go wrong, like the table linens would be a slightly off color and I didn’t want to let it bother me.

No need. It was all perfect. The ceremony was poetic and meaningful to us. We couldn’t have asked for more beautiful weather. Salero and its 270-degree ocean view were stunning. I loved the food and the cake was out of this world. People danced all night. Neither of us fell during our first dance. The toasts made me cry, which does not happen easily. I hope we showed everyone a good time.

Planning was fun but stressful for awhile. Going in, I hadn’t appreciated the sheer scope of stuffing 100 envelopes with invitations, return cards and those little pieces of tissue paper, then stamping and putting address labels and return address labels on everything. I hadn’t realized what a project it would be to make all that sea glass candy and put it in 125 bags. I didn’t know how much ink we’d use printing those 7-inch record table markers and the programs. It was hard work but fun being creative. With some help, we got it done and it was beyond worthwhile.

Then we got to sit by the pool for a few days in Florida and not have to worry about anything. Right after we came home from the honeymoon, we found out that we would soon be literally married as Delaware had approved same sex marriage.

I am so very grateful Steve and I got to tie the knot surrounded by all the loved ones we could cram into that beautiful place, in an area that holds so many memories for us.

Now in the aftermath, I get to soak up the afterglow and relax a little, enjoying my time with my new husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment