Wednesday, September 25, 2013

All Cried Out: A Short Play Starring Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam


Freestyle singer Lisa Lisa Velez lies on her queen bed one dreary night. It is after 3 a.m. and still she waits, her cheeks slightly salty with long-dry tears, for her man to come home. He said he had to work late — he always seems to work late — but she doesn’t buy it. She saw him in the city that day. She waved to him but he pretended not to see her. Holding a notebook, Lisa Lisa reads aloud a few lines of poetry she had written to express her pain.

Lisa Lisa: “All alone on a Sunday morning/ Outside I see the rain is falling/
Inside I'm slowly dying/ But the rain will hide my crying, crying, crying.”

The door opens and in walks Cult Jam. He has clearly been drinking and has to steady himself on the bureau for support. He throws his coat on the bed and slumps onto a chair. Lisa Lisa can see the lipstick on his collar.

Lisa Lisa (eyes flashing in rage): And you … Don't you know my tears will burn the pillow? Set this place on fire 'cause I'm tired of your lies. All I needed was a simple "hello" but the traffic was so noisy that you could not hear me cry.

Cult Jam begins to pass out but she slaps him awake. 

Lisa Lisa: I gave you my love in vain. My body never knew such pleasure …
my heart never knew such pain! And you … you leave me so confused. Now I'm all cried out over you.

Cult Jam (bitterly): Cryin' over you, yeah.

At the sound of Cult Jam’s words, Lisa Lisa flops down despondently on the bed, her head in her hands. Cult Jam softens at the sight of this and walks over to comfort her.

Cult Jam: Never wanted to see things your way. Had to go astray. Why was I such a fool? Now I see that the grass is greener. Is it too late for me to find my way home? How could I be so wrong?

Lisa Lisa (dramatically shoving Cult Jam’s hand off her shoulder and revealing her newly tear-stained face): Leaving me all alone. Don't you know my tears will cause an inferno? Romance up in flames … Why should I take the blame? You were the one who left me neglected.

Cult Jam: I'm so sorry, baby.

Lisa Lisa: Apology not accepted. Add me to the broken hearts you've collected. I gave you all of me.

Cult Jam: Gave me all of you.

Lisa Lisa: How was I to know you would weaken so easily? I don't know what to do.

Cult Jam (shrugs helplessly): I don't know what to do.

Seeing that Cult Jam will be of no help in repairing their broken relationship, that he will not be faithful to her, Lisa Lisa starts to pack a bag with her clothes. She starts to cry again but shakes her head no and forces herself to stop.

Lisa Lisa: Now I'm all cried out over you. I gave you my love in vain. My body never knew such pleasure. My heart never knew such pain and you …

Cult Jam: You left me so confused.

Lisa Lisa: Now I’m all cried out over you.

Lisa Lisa walks out the door for the final time, leaving Cult Jam alone and drunk in their bedroom.

Cult Jam: I’m cried out, too …

No comments:

Post a Comment