Friday, April 3, 2015

The Americans S3 E10: Stingers


The communist cat is out of the bag in the Jennings household. I don’t think I breathed for about 10 minutes. Given that Paige backed them into a corner with her curiosity, her parents handled it about as well as they could have and The Americans handled it about as well as it could have. This was one of my favorite episodes yet.

There were so many subtle touches that I loved about the reveal. I liked how the episode focused on the Jennings family in uninterrupted scenes, as if savoring the shock the characters and viewers felt, as if nobody could look away to the other characters. When Paige finally asked her parents where they went at night, I liked the “I told you so” look Elizabeth gave Philip and how you could then see the sad surrender on his face. There was no way to avoid telling her at that point.

I loved loved loved Paige asking them to speak Russian. Elizabeth had spoken Russian only once to my knowledge since living in America. The last time she did it, asking Philip to come home at the end of season one, it was enormously powerful (and left me slack-jawed), so I loved the emotion in Elizabeth’s voice. She expressed love for her daughter but I think there was also some pride in her country and a feeling of relief that she could in some small way be herself.

When Philip was asking Paige not to tell anyone, I thought for a second that he’d tell her “or we’ll have to kill you.” If it ever came to that, it would be the end of television. I loved the suspense of Paige’s phone call to the priest (I keep wanting to call him Rev. Tim Tom after the guy on The Middle) because I really didn’t know if she would tell him or what. On a related note, the priest’s visit to the travel agency was hilarious. Philip has never booked a trip in his life and I kept picturing him looking through fake binders and shuffling papers and stalling and having no idea how to book a flight to Kenya.

Now we wait and see how many specifics the Jennings parents reveal to their daughter and how she processes the information. Maybe she’ll conclude that her parents’ evasiveness was nothing personal since it wasn’t that they didn’t love her but they were working toward something greater. Maybe she’ll make the connection between revolution and religion. Maybe she’ll get an inkling of the nuts and bolts of what her parents actually do and realize, like that woman in the warehouse, that her parents are telling themselves what evil people tell themselves.

At the end of the episode, when the FBI agent came over for dinner, it began to sink into Paige just how much danger her parents were in and I loved the shot framing her claustrophobically at the table. It was the blackest of comedy to have Philip sharpening knives while sending the subtle message to Paige not to say anything and I loved the frighteningly stern look Elizabeth gave her. All that said, “We love you and we will protect you but do not mess this up.”

Other things happened in “Stingers” but they kind of fade away next to the momentousness of the Paige revelation. Mischa Jr. does not want to leave Afghanistan. Zinaida is, to nobody’s surprise, a Soviet double agent and there are some bureaucratic shenanigans involving her and the Rezidentura. I have no idea what Philip and Elizabeth were up to in that hotel because I need remedial help with some of the intrigue on this show (something with Yousaf and the CIA).

There was one potentially big non-Paige development: Stan totally suspects Martha planted the bug. I don’t know what he’ll do with this information. It will not be as straightforward as Stan being a good company man and turning her in so maybe he’ll leverage the information for something for himself. Martha might catch a break because the person who discovered her may be the one person with no room to talk about betrayal.

No comments:

Post a Comment