Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Right of Way


Don't you dare shake your head at me. I could see you there even through the rush-hour glare. It was just an entitled little shake of the head and it got me.

Let's get something straight here: Regardless of any traffic laws, I have the right of way here. I live here. I am a homeowner on this block. And I am trying to pull out of my driveway and go to work. This means I do not need the hint of attitude from you, who do not live on this block and are simply using the common driveway as a shortcut.

I know people don't mean to be inconsiderate when they cut through our driveway. It's just that bit of attitude that pisses me off. It's the little head shake and/or eye roll that seem to say, "Ugh. Some people." So drop the attitude, sweetie. Drop it right now.

See, I live here and park here so I have to use this driveway. You do not live here and can drive the extra 50 feet and use the actual street. You actually can. I know it's rough to drive all that way but it's actually not impossible. You just need to be a little less lazy and a little more considerate of the people who live here.

Sometimes I feel like I'm invisible here. 

I refuse to give an inch in that driveway to people who don't live on our block but tear through without regard for residents' cars or pedestrians. Someday someone's going to come whipping around that corner and hit my car or worse, hit a kid. So I won't give anybody else the right of way. If you don't care about me, then I don't see why I should care about you.

Meanwhile, there is utilities work happening all week in our driveway. I am working from home today and they started work while I was at the gym, so now I can’t park in my own driveway because there is a truck and a huge hole. We were supposed to get notices from Delmarva but of course, we did not, so I’m calling to complain.

And that stupid driveway is just another reason why I cannot wait to get out of this house and live somewhere I won't have to worry about pulling into the Daytona 500 every morning on my way to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment