Monday, August 3, 2015

Did it rain today?

A rare peal of thunder got through drywall and industrial carpets to my ears. I heard it, decisive, in the deep despair halfway between lunch and quitting time and it was the only sign beyond the clinical forecast on the screen that there was a world outside at all. At the end of the day, the only sign of the broken heat is the half-puddled rain. I can only imagine what lightshow I missed while my nose was to the grindstone.


I can only imagine what I miss every day under artificial light. Snow piles up neatly around my car, streets having been plowed while I waited. The drought breaks while I shop online. Entire warm and cold fronts live and die while it is too much trouble for me to take lunch to the park.


I miss it all, with the adult necessity of not being able to lie on one's back and look at the clouds or that will be all you're able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment