Friday, August 21, 2015

Tan


This summer, I am that little kid who will only go inside if his parents call his name down the block and all the streetlights come on and he has exhausted his last appeal.

I turn from Dracula to George Hamilton. Skin once china white from hunkering indoors in a summer of discontent has gone atypically tan as I hang onto a pool noodle and look at the clouds. I have spent an entire summer lingering outside, telling myself I will go inside when the next cumulonimbus moves to the horizon only to linger until the next front goes by.

But I will not go in. I will soak up as much sun as I can until the breeze hardens and the sun collapses. I will only end the summer when nature takes its choice from me. Do not call me to come inside. I cannot hear you from under this sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment