Monday, March 14, 2016

The Walking Dead S6 E13: The Same Boat


I assumed right away when Carol told her captors her name in a mousy voice that she was faking, playing the part of the defenseless housewife again so she could lower the Saviors’ expectations and strike back. I figured the Saviors were in for major trouble, having taken captive Carol, the show’s most dangerous person, and Maggie, who has shown impressive steel during negotiations.

What I didn’t count on right away was how much truth there was in Carol’s breakdown. She may have been playing up the panic attack and rosaries but it was all based on something real. I was thinking at first, when Carol was crying as she talked about her daughter, that she was like an actress drawing on a painful memory to make herself cry, but who’s to say her faith didn’t get her through that Sophia’s death? You can use those rosary beads to pray and comfort yourself but you can also sharpen that cross and use it for more practical ends.

I thought it was more interesting to see Carol snap when realizing how many people she’s killed, having a real breakdown, than having one that was entirely fake as a method of turning the tables on her captors. I am liking the development where the show is not taking lightly the fact that Rick and the gang killed a bunch of people in cold blood because even as a preventive measure, it’s brutal. The Walking Dead isn’t just implying that “they’re doing what they have to do,” it’s leaving space for questioning.

Those Saviors were a piece of work. I loved the smoker, who had to have been a school lunch lady or waitress at a biker diner before the zombies came. Paula had a weird pre-zombie backstory. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention but I couldn’t follow why she had to stay with her boss during the emergency and then killed him. I’m being glib here but it just felt like her story came down to “I had to stay late at work so my daughters died.”

None of them were really as competent as they seemed and I’m not impressed so far. I am sure things will change when Negan arrives but so far the team has taken down his minions with no trouble. Darryl blew up those people with a rocket launcher, they killed everyone at that satellite facility and now Carol and Maggie freed themselves, all with zero casualties on their side.

I loved how Darryl hugged Carol.

No comments:

Post a Comment