Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Split


Hey, let’s split a dessert! Doesn’t that sound like fun? We can each get half of something!

Pick something! A rich piece of cheesecake with strawberries, some warm apple pie, a scoop of salted caramel ice cream, smooth yet crunchy crème brûlée, flourless chocolate torte, a variety of fresh fruits, etc. I’m not picky, as long as I get to pick off your plate.

I know you were looking forward to eating an entire piece of cake that is optimized to be one serving for one person, which is entirely reasonable, but I’m not hungry enough to eat an entire serving of dessert. What I am hungry enough to do is take half of what you have. No, I won’t order my own and eat as much as I can and take the rest home. What kind of fun would that be?

“Waiter! One piece of cake, two forks!” Now that’s fun!

Besides, sharing is caring, remember? One might argue this applies to sharing with people who are truly needy, not sharing with people who can damn well afford an entire $7 piece of pie, but that wouldn’t be convenient for me, so I’m disregarding that argument.

If we split something, I walk away full and you may or may not still be hungry. It’s win/lose. Doesn’t that sound like fun (for me)?

No comments:

Post a Comment