Friday, March 23, 2012

Endless Summer


Aren’t you loving this gorgeous weather in March? Temperatures in the 70ºs at this time of year are a real treat. The best part of it is, things will be like this at least until Labor Day, with absolutely no chance of a backslide into more seasonable temperatures.

Not only have we turned off the heat in our house for the season, we have started pumping the central air at full blast. There’s no real reason not to do so because I assume we’ve had our last chilly morning for the next six months. Along the same lines, I planted my flowers in the first week of March because I just can’t visualize any frost anymore, what with this beautiful weather.

Those unused snow shovels? Gone. I melted them down into beach chairs. The fact that we had a mild winter is, I can only assume, a sign that winter is permanently over with. We’ll probably get just as little snow next year. And snow in April is absolutely unheard of so there’s no chance we’ll get one last shot of winter. No chance at all.

My summer wardrobe is what I will wear for the next few months. I have been wearing tanktops to work all week. I threw my winter clothes in the trash. We won’t be needing any long sleeves for a long, long time so there was no point in hanging onto them. I got rid of my coats, too. I just threw everything out in a Dumpster since the permanent warmth of this climate means nobody else will need those bulky sweaters, either, so there was no point in giving them to the less fortunate. Well, I guess there’s a small chance that we might get a chilly night at some point but if that happens, I’ll just buy new clothes or wear several layers of T-shirts and shorts.

Am I arrogant? No, I just am putting all my money on the fact that this early spring/summer weather is going to be sticking around for at least the next six months. History has taught us that once it warms up earlier than normal in March, April stays just as beautiful. Temperatures don’t go up and down like the stock market; they rise further and further as the season continues.

Well, we’re off to the beach tomorrow. I can only assume that the recent unseasonable warmth has raised the ocean temperature to 70º or thereabouts so we’ll be frolicking in the water for a few hours and working on our tans. Endless summer, here we come!


No comments:

Post a Comment