Thursday, November 8, 2012

Grampa, tell us about Nor'easter Athena


Nor’easter Athena? Sure, I remember that one well. It was way back in the autumn of ’12. If you ask more old timers like me, I’m sure they’d vividly remember that storm.

It was a cold and blustery day, as I recall. Oh, I can remember leaving work one afternoon and seeing the rain turn to freezing rain and then to sleet. The air temperature was dancing on the fine line between wet and frozen. Later that night, the sleet was hitting the bathroom skylight and you could just hear the sound ringing all through the house. The sound of winter coming early, it was. Then the next morning, as I drove to work and saw the sporadic patches of wet snow on the ground …

… Well, a person doesn’t soon forget a sight like that.

So that was Athena, gone down in the annals of weather history. Remind me some other time to tell you about the other named weather phenomena of that bygone age.

Like Thunderstorm Clarissa. This was in July of ’13, in the middle of a Monday afternoon. Oh, there were great peals of thunder and strikes of lightning so bright it was like a fire come down from Heaven. Must have been a quarter inch of rain that day. Windy, too. Turned my umbrella inside out, the wind did.

And I can’t forget Fog Mitchell. As I recall, it was a humid morning one September in the Teens. The fog was thicker than any pea soup you could get in a restaurant back then. The middle of the morning and you had to keep your headlights on, you did. And it still barely helped.

Well, my memory isn’t what it used to be when I was a young man. Thank God they thought to name all those storms. It really helps us keep them straight for posterity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment