Monday, November 19, 2012

I had the most murderous dream


I dreamed one of my friends murdered another friend. In the haze of sleep, it wasn’t clear who the friends were. They were most likely composites of people I know; like how you know who people are in the dream but when you wake up, you realize the people weren’t as you know them in the waking world.

I had gone over to this friend’s apartment and he told me how he killed the other person. The victim went to the apartment and the murderer asked him to check his TV’s connections because the TV wasn’t working. The murderer had spilled some water behind the TV and left a live electrical connection in the puddle. When the victim went behind the TV to check on the wiring, he got electrocuted.

So that was more a nightmare than a dream. I’ve been having these horrible sporadic nightmares lately. Sometimes they’ve been genuinely unpleasant subjects, like when I dreamed someone was lying on top of me and choking me. Sometimes the nightmares have been those types that upset you in the moment but when you clear your head and reflect back, they don’t seem so bad and you feel stupid for being so upset.

Now for something lighter. I later dreamed that I had moved into a house that I always coveted, which my childhood friend lived in. You know how large buildings sway a little? This house also swayed — a lot. I was sitting in the bedroom and it swayed all the way across the street to the point where it would have been sitting in the middle of traffic. It just kept moving and never snapped back.

I looked out the window and noted how close my bedroom was to the Delaware River. It was flowing so close to my window that any flooding would have killed me in my sleep. Then the whole house went on a magic journey beneath the river. The river turned into a pool and we (whoever else was in the dream) ended up staring at the people looking into the pool. I thought that was whimsical.

No comments:

Post a Comment