Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I had the most presumptuous dream

I dreamed Steve and I were home and looked out the window and saw people sitting on our deck. We went out to investigate and there were a bunch of our acquaintances just sitting there, chatting and having a few beers. Kim and Jason were there, too. That’s how they roll: Inviting themselves to party on their brother’s deck without bothering to ask.
 
I was livid that these people, many of whom we barely knew, were presumptuous enough to think they could just socialize without our permission. I went outside and confronted them. With a barely veiled attitude, I had a long conversation and told them they needed to leave. While I was talking, most of the people felt uncomfortable and slipped out without my noticing.
 
Later I dreamed that Steve and I were not yet living together and I was trying to get to his house. I was driving up the streets but couldn’t get there because many of the streets were one way and it was a maze I couldn’t negotiate.
 
So I walked into this woman’s house and used it as a shortcut. She was vacuuming and when she saw me walk in, she wasn’t surprised, as if people cut through her house all the time. She told me to go out by way of the balcony. I did and jumped down onto a steep hill and went to Steve’s.
 
Last night was apparently the night to dream of people who were on other people’s decks and balconies without permission. I have a very hard time just walking in someone’s house, even if it’s a friend and they tell me I can just walk in. This stems from childhood. I was once about to knock up on a friend’s house and a guy was going to their door at the same time I was. He must have thought I lived there because he told me to go ahead and walk in. I must have been about 5 or 6 so I listened to him because he was an authority figure giving me permission. I walked in and I barely remember but I guess my friend’s parents were surprised to see me. Luckily, I knew them and I was just a kid so they understood.
 
So if you ever tell me “Oh, just walk in,” I’ll do it but the kid inside me will cringe and expect to get in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment