Monday, September 29, 2014

I had the most cross-pollinated dream


I dreamed two of the TV shows I enjoy, Orange Is the New Black and Mad Men, joined forces in one wacky TV plot. Orange Is the New Black is ostensibly a comedy set in a women’s prison. Mad Men is a drama focusing on an advertising agency in the ‘60s. They couldn’t be more different but they recently cross-pollinated on the astral plane of my mind for one scintillating episode in a late-night time slot.

The dream sequence starred Orange’s Vee and Mad Men’s Peggy Olson. Vee is a charismatic, cold-blooded drug dealer who organizes a drug ring on the inside. Peggy is a rising creative director who shows great promise in her career but whose personal life is a bit of a mess. In my dream, Vee was recruiting Peggy to sell drugs.

I have no idea what white-collar crime Peggy committed to end up in Litchfield Prison. Embezzlement from Sterling Cooper? Stabbing another boyfriend with a bayonet? She seemed pretty subservient to Vee and was trying her best to please her. Vee was berating Peggy for something she screwed up during the drug trade. I don’t know what happened but maybe the problem is that these women simply come from two different worlds — not to mention two different time periods, given the 50 years that separate the two shows.

In the dream, I could vividly hear Peggy’s thoughts as a voice-over: “I had a good job at the ad agency. Why did I give that up to sell drugs in prison?”

And those, my friends, are words to live by. Cut to ending credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment