Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I had the most inept dream


I dreamed we had just arrived at the shore house in Fenwick Island, only it was actually some kind of high school gym we were hanging out at. Only half the people were there and the other half, including Steve, were on their way and would meet us later. So Veronica and I sat at the bar in the gym and had a beer and waited.

I tried to call Steve and kept having problems with my phone. I got some kind of replacement phone made of foam and dialing entailed using my fingernail to press an indentation into the numbers that were carved in the foam. A British man answered Steve’s phone and when I asked when he’d be coming to the house, he said he’d come down tomorrow. “I know you like skin on skin,” he said.

Maybe, but not from him. I didn’t marry this guy and wasn’t sure why he answered my husband’s phone. I called the number again from a landline and the same person answered. I checked that I was calling the right number and was pretty sure but with cell phones, nobody knows anybody’s number by heart anymore, so I may have been wrong.

This is a recurring theme in my dreams: I keep trying to operate a piece of technology like a phone or remote and it just doesn’t work. I will be too inept to turn off the TV despite spending hours trying and I’ll be late for something because I couldn’t turn off the TV. No idea what this means.

Meanwhile, “Express Yourself” was playing on the speakers at the house/gym and I realized it sounded just like the live version I’d heard on one of the tours. I discovered it actually was live because Madonna was performing it for us. I thought it was nice of her to stop by at our vacation house. The sound started to deteriorate so she stopped while technicians looked into the problem.

I still had to find out where Steve was and was starting to worry about when he’d get there. I thought of calling his sisters but worried that it was after 10 and I would wake up their kids. I don't know what they would have done anyway since they were hours away and would just call his number, which didn’t work for me.

Bummed out and unsure what to do, I started walking down the street. Who do I run into but Jim, upstairs in his house blocks away from our shore house. He came down and gave me some pills and we decided to find out where Steve was. I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment