Monday, January 19, 2015

At War


I must summon the courage to sit still amid all the storms banging around just outside my skin. There is no shame, perhaps, in the idle anonymity of a weeknight on the couch toggling between books I write and books I did not. I must learn to stay here, sadly undistracted, and wait for the future to amortize. This is all busy work. 

I must accept that the split level with a pool may vanish while income still swells but another will appear. I must accept that they are peacefully ashes and it was nothing I did. I must hope that he is coming to us.

For too long I have been at war. Even the bathroom tiles seem to capture more territory with every battle. Every virtual exchange with a virtual stranger assaults me long after they forget. And I just wish for some peace, for an end to fighting beneath my skin, for a resolution and the right to move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment