Thursday, January 22, 2015

Sweating


You know what’s the worst at this cold and snowy time of winter? How hot it is in my bed beneath my thick duvet.

I was used to having a thinner bedspread, so I would wear flannel pajamas to bed in the winter to stay warm. The system worked and I was able to sleep. Then we got our king-size bed two years ago and fancy new bedding with it.

It was really a challenge to adjust to our new down-filled duvet. I had to take off the blanket I used to have and was forced to sleep only beneath the duvet and a sheet. I soon learned that the pajamas were too hot because I would wake up covered in sweat while the sleet rattled the windowpanes. I had to start sleeping in a bare minimum of clothing, as if it were a balmy summer night. I couldn’t sleep, even with the heat turned down.

Now, in the latest indignity, I have to partially close the heat vents to get some relief from the sauna of our expensive bedding. I could just program the heat to drop a little lower at night but our custom thermostat is just too difficult for me to figure out. I seem to be sleeping a little better and no longer feel like I’m lying on a beach in Tahiti. But, you know, it’s rough to walk around the chilly bedroom half-dressed and climb beneath the covers, waiting for the warmth to surround me as the wind howls around the house.

Man, why does everything bad happen to me?


No comments:

Post a Comment