Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Walking Dead S6 E3: Thank You


So I guess Glenn is dead? Or maybe not? Nicholas’ body had fallen on top of Glenn so those could have been Nicholas’ entrails that the zombies were ripping out. The large intestine was coming from too high on Glenn and Glenn was upset and screaming but didn’t seem to be quite as upset as if it were him being eviscerated. If he’s covered in blood, he might be able to play possum until the zombies leave because they wouldn’t smell him.

I watched “Thank You” last night but I knew ahead of time that it was Glenn who died (or not). I didn’t seek out spoilers but all the entertainment sites I read had a photo of Glenn with a caption like “Someone dies horribly.” I guess looking back you could see some foreshadowing in the series premiere when Glenn said, “I’m supposed to be delivering pizzas.” Maybe that was a way of bringing him back to the beginning before killing him off.

I won’t be terribly upset if Glenn dies. I suppose I’m immune to characters on this show dying because it’s so frequent. The only people I’ll be really upset to see die would be Carol and Michonne and I guess Morgan. Darryl, too, but I’m not in “If Darryl dies, we riot” mode like I was before. I still like the character but that one episode with him overacting with Beth in that farmhouse they burned down just made me realize what a limited range he has. Not that I want Glenn to die since he is an original cast member. Can’t they kill Tara and the other woman? For me, they add zero to the show and I forget they’re there.

Right before Nicholas shot himself, I was just saying how I was surprised more people don’t kill themselves in that world, since it’s so hopeless. I suppose anybody who would have committed suicide did it long ago and now only the hardcore survivalists are left. Still, for the characters who died in this episode, I was wondering why they didn’t turn the guns on themselves or why the survivors didn’t kill them. They were surrounded by zombies and dead anyway so as morbid as it sounds, at least if they shot themselves in the head, they wouldn’t reanimate.

Those Wolves Morgan let live come back to haunt the cast as they attack Rick in the trailer (at least I think it was them). As brutal as it sounds, Carol had the right idea about just killing them right away. It was harrowing when Rick showed just a hint of panic in the trailer.

The mission in the quarry is probably the costliest disaster in Walking Dead history. Four or five people died this episode and a few died in the season premiere. Plus, a ton of people died in Alexandria while half the cast was away. The Wolves might have attacked anyway but if everyone hadn’t gone to the quarry, more competent people would have been around to defend the residents.

Hindsight is 20/20 and Rick’s instinct (if not the actual plan) to prevent a disaster at the quarry was sound. But you have to wonder if they would have been better off staying in Alexandria. The zombies might have broken free but at least they’d be inside the walls and have more control. So I can’t blame them for doing what they did but this was an interesting look at a plan gone very, very bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment