Thursday, April 21, 2016

A tiny amount of interest in a tiny house


I will never live in a tiny house. I lived in small apartments and I feel like I did my time and now I’d like to live somewhere more spacious. When we were looking for our current house, it was my goal not to buy anything anyone could describe as “cute” when walking through the door because in real estate, “cute” means “small.” I don’t need a McMansion but I’m never living in 200 square feet unless I absolutely have to.

We were watching HGTV when there was an ad for some kind of tiny house show. The couple on it said, “We’re redefining success.” That’s a bit of self-regard, don’t you think? You’re changing the definition of success just because you live in a dollhouse? I’m pretty sure a generally accepted definition of success is not having to cook dinner on a hotplate while pooping in the toilet next to the Murphy bed.

I don’t mean to make light of people who have no choice but to live in a small area. But when I see these tiny house people on TV, I don’t see some couple down on their luck who have to live in a cramped tenement and are just getting by. These people seem almost like austerity tourists, people who have had the big house and now want to live somewhere adorable so they can spend the rest of their money traveling the world, whereas people who can’t afford a huge living space don’t have the disposable cash for the extracurricular activities.

These people also said, “Spend less time working and more time living.” Yes, but living where? I understand that we should spend some time smelling the roses but I personally don’t mind working if it will buy me a decent house. I also understand the idea of spending money on experiences and not things but I don’t share it. Maybe I’m too much a part of my generation and hanging onto tangible possessions.

You know an experience I enjoy? Coming home from working a 40-hour week and jumping in the pool. It’s a lot of work and expense to maintain a pool and a yard but I don’t mind because the reward is getting to have a pool and a yard. My time at work gives me money to do all that and facilitate living.

Acquiring things is certainly not the goal in life but I still like having things. I could go to the library for all my books but it took me decades to acquire my own library and I like to have my own books to reread when I want. I also get some pleasure looking at the bookshelves in our house. I’m glad Steve finally moved that piano to our house so he can start playing and that piano would not have fit into a tiny house.

We saw the tiny house commercial during Love It or List It, which is on the opposite spectrum where some of the residents seem so spoiled. It’s fun to watch and love or hate the homeowners. One person found an absolutely perfect house but it was just slightly outside the ideal neighborhood near work and I thought of my hour commute and wanted to throw something at the screen. Then there are the couples who have a fit when they can’t have a hot tub in their unfinished attic or a moat or something. I know it’s all staged but it’s still amusing. I guess the lesson is that you can’t have it all but you can have enough. 

So today I’ve criticized people whose houses are too small and people who are unsatisfied with their huge castles. There is no pleasing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment