Friday, August 12, 2016

A Test


They will grade every step I take. They will pull out clipboards and check off boxes that I cannot see. All referendums on the dad I will be.

Every move I make, it seems, is a test. Waiting for a call, weak and dumb, means laying down when the need for action yanks me out of bed at 3 a.m. A dozen escalating messages in a week shows I am too Faberge egg to handle the gavel that will not bang. Any whisper of frustration in my voice, any goofy joke missing the mark, shows them who I am and who I will be and they will shift the search.

I am the only one grading me, I know. Most likely, they barely notice.

But isn’t it all true? Doesn’t every ripple of who we are, no matter how we might overanalyze, say a little about who we are and who we would be?


No comments:

Post a Comment