Monday, November 7, 2016

The Walking Dead S7 E3: The Cell


I spent Sunday night’s episode falling asleep on the couch so I probably missed a few things. That doesn’t necessarily indicate that I was bored because I am old and can fall asleep anytime after 9.

The entire hour was dedicated to the attempt to break Darryl down. He goes from shivering and naked in a cell to wearing a sweatsuit labeled with “A” for some reason to being tortured via music. Dwight takes his motorcycle and his vest. Finally, Negan can’t break him. Darryl is no Theon capitulating to Ramsay. He still knows his name.

I was entertained by the viewing of old Who’s the Boss episodes on VHS and all the music. (I wonder if downloads will spike for “A Town Called Malice” and that “Easy Street” song.) It was kind of fun to get a memory of pop culture and a very rare look at the world before.

I liked the deeper look into Dwight’s character, as I assume he’ll betray Negan, and the weird soap opera dynamic in Neganland, with him engaged to Dwight’s ex-wife (I guess? This was hard to follow in my sleepy state). I also liked the appearance of the well-dressed woman (did not catch her name) since it seemed very hallucinatory to see someone so normal looking in that world.

Negan is at least lively but I’m wondering if all the banter and talk about Lucille is sustainable. I would like to see more of the aspects of Negan that make him the leader of the Saviors. There must be more to him than that bat because it’s just a bat wrapped in barbed wire and anyone can make one. It’s not like he wields Excalibur. He seems powerful and vulnerable at the same time and I hope the show continues to establish why he has gained the cult following.

This wasn’t a bad episode but seemed kind of padded and thin. It was strange to have two episodes away from the main cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment