Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Gimme a Break


Memories of youth get a little spotty as one gets older, due mostly to natural attrition of brain cells and what not. Once in awhile, something surfaces and another casual memory comes to the front of my brain.

Therefore, I would like to share three separate, vague memories I have of the Nell Carter star vehicle Gimme a Break, an early ‘80s sitcom.

First, I remember Nell Carter’s character ran into an old friend from high school or something. He mentioned having a girl and she got the impression he had remarried. She asked him how old the girl was and he said 15. “Fifteen?!” Nell exploded in outrage. It turns out that the man was not married to a 15-year-old at all; the girl was his daughter.

Second, I remember Nell Carter telling a story of how she once attempted suicide. She tearfully said how she opened the oven, stuck her head in and turned on the gas.

Third, I remember Nell Carter going on Wheel of Fortune, where she really wanted to win a new car. The answer to the puzzle was “Give me liberty or give me death.” But Nell got arrogant and presumptuous and said “Give me liberty or give me a car!” Of course, she didn’t win.

I didn’t care that much about Gimme a Break and don’t remember much about it so I don’t know why I remembered any of that. Is this a sign of some mental decline? Do you smell that burnt toast, too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment