Thursday, September 6, 2012

Who Knew?


Here is a partial list of things that I have realized only in the last few years:

There are two spellings for discreet/discrete. “Discreet” refers to discretion of people in sensitive situations. “Discrete” refers to distinct units. I never thought about it before.

There is only one Stanley Cup. I used to think every hockey championship team got its own cup. That’s why I never knew why it was a big deal when the Stanley Cup was in the stadium when a team was about to clinch. I figured there were 70 of them out there.

You should use “farther” to describe distance and “further” to denote progress. It’s embarrassing that an editor didn’t know this for years. Now I can’t not see this when I read something.

The store Staples not only refers to staples that fasten paper but also basic items you keep as staples in your office. I just figured it was referring to the metal staples.

For years I had misspelled ecstasy as ecstacy. For shame.

Sigh. You know what? That’s all I got for this week. I’m burnt out on everything. I need to get out of here for awhile. I need to disconnect my brain and absorb some late-summer sun and salt air.

I’ll be back Sept. 17, hopefully as a new man.

No comments:

Post a Comment