Friday, March 15, 2013

Francis


From what I’ve been reading over just the last two days, I think the Catholic Church is getting a mixed bag with the new pope.

On the plus side is Francis’ commitment to the poor. This is work that I think is paramount for the church. It’s earthly work that puts religious teachings into action. Without doing corporal works of mercy, what’s the point of having the church? A religion is more than just a collection of dogma and ritual and the work with the poor would confirm that.

We need such an emphasis, especially today with the gap between rich and poor widening. We need ministry to the poor in the face of Catholics like Rep. Paul Ryan, who has his faith backwards and seems to believe that economic justice would entail cutting taxes for the rich. Everyone, regardless of their religion or lack thereof, should care more about the people on the ladder rungs below them than those above them.

I was sort of moved when I heard of the name Pope Francis chose. To me, St. Francis of Assisi evokes ideas of peace, calm and simple kindness to humans and animals and I think it’s a powerful symbol that the pope chose that name (and it’s hard to believe there has not been another Pope Francis in 2,000 years). If it means anything, he looked friendly and humble on that balcony. It will be change from Benedict, who looked like death in a robe.

On the other side, this pope seems very conservative on issues like abortion, women, contraception, gays, etc. But honestly, who did we think we would get as pope, some 20-something firebrand liberal? When I heard about the pontiff’s commitment to the poor, it reminded me of those nuns who got chastised by the Vatican because they said social justice was more important than taking a position on social issues like gay marriage. Maybe Pope Francis will take a similar tack.

Yes, there is the issue of gay marriage and as a cardinal, the new pope denounced it in Argentina in harsh terms. But I don’t think what any pope believes on gay marriage will make any difference because societies are changing without any deference to the church. Francis had demonized same-sex marriage in his country but the point is, it didn’t matter. The Argentines ignored him and approved of marriage anyway. Gay marriage is becoming legal in countries, many of which are Catholic, throughout the world. So I won’t get too wrapped up in what Cardinal Bergoglio said about it because things are progressing with or without asking his permission.

Gay marriage is legal in more states than I ever would have thought possible even a few years ago. Next month Steve and I will seal our commitment before our family and friends and when we met, I didn’t think that would ever happen in America. So institutions can change, sometimes at a breathtaking pace. Maybe the pope’s mind can change, too.

We’ve shopped for rings, gotten fitted in tuxes and made all sorts of arrangements and nobody gave us any dirty looks. We had a dance lesson the other night and none of the other couples at the dance studio batted an eyelash at the idea of two men dancing together. That’s remarkable when you consider what the world was like a decade or two ago. 

I know I am very lucky that things are so good for me and I will always be grateful because some gay people really are in dire straits. But no matter what any pope says about this one issue close to my heart, I can’t envision us exchanging vows on the beach and hold any despair. Things have gotten better and I have faith that they will continue to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment