Monday, March 25, 2013

My God, my God, why have you forsaken us?


When I awoke this morning and saw the wintry hellscape outside my window, I thought for a moment I were still asleep and trapped in some Kafkaesque nightmare.

It is not supposed to snow this late in March. It is simply not supposed to happen. I actually wasn’t sure it could happen. In fact, it is unprecedented that we are getting this weather at this time of year. Despite the fact that we got almost no snow all winter, today’s snowfall will make me regard this winter as one of the worst in recent memory.

The spring snow may quickly turn to slush and melt. But how long will our memories of this cursed weather remain? That is a question that not even the weather people on Action News can answer.

It is spring and I expect the weather to fall in line immediately. There should be no grace period during which the atmosphere is in transition. Once the vernal equinox hits, the weather is to be all sweetness and light. It should be balmy breezes and chickadees and pastels. Once a season begins, the door to the last season must slam shut for the next nine months.

Have you ever witnessed the change of seasons at the moment of the autumnal equinox? It is quite breathtaking in its abruptness. Last year, I was driving home at the precise moment that fall arrived. All of the sudden, the leaves all turned from summery green to a deep red, as if someone had set them on fire. The temperature dropped 20 degrees and the air was filled with the inexplicable smell of burning leaves. I had a distinct craving for pumpkin pie and sweaters, despite the fact that earlier that morning, it looked like summer was still in full swing.

There is that timeworn saying that “March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.” Is that just some trite nursery rhyme with no real basis in reality? If so, I don’t know what to believe anymore.

As I turn my eyes to the winter skies, I cry, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken us?”

No comments:

Post a Comment