Thursday, March 7, 2013

I had the most déjà vu dream


I dreamed I was back at my first apartment. If you think you’ve read about a similar dream before, you’re probably right. I have constant dreams that I’m either visiting or moving back to that old apartment. The dreams are so frequent that it’s rare to have a night without them.

In the latest dream, the old apartment had this passage beyond that tiny kitchen that opened into a large back room with all sorts of restaurant tables. I said, “I never knew what to do with this room when I lived here.” It’s a common theme that the place will be far bigger than when I lived there. It’s also common for me to feel upset that we moved out of our house and I am no longer living with Steve. The kitchen cabinets were full of all these old Christmas decorations that I wanted to move to find room for more dishes and glasses.

The same night I dreamed that I was at that apartment but it was different than in the first dream. Someone else had moved there and we were looking through the window. They had knocked down the bedroom walls so the whole apartment was one big space and the bed was in the middle. The person who lived there had all my old things. Some of our towels were his bed sheets.

The thing that upset me was that I looked out the window and most of the neighboring houses were gone. They’d had some sort of flood and demolished all the houses so there were these empty fields and lakes all around. Three women were standing on the sidewalk asking people to give them their old clothes so they could make money by sewing them. I got the impression the people that remained in the neighborhood were barely surviving.

I have no idea what this means that I dream about the old apartment so much. It’s not something I think about all the time. It was a crappy apartment but I did have some good times there. That doesn’t mean I want to live there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment