Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sex and the City and Cupcakes and Booze


Can we make an agreement as a society that we will stop using Sex and the City as any kind of reference to anything in our culture? Christ, that show has been off the air for almost a decade and yet we’re still referring to it as starting trends.

I was just reading an article that more women stay out late drinking and it’s causing problems in their marriages. The author refers to this as “Sex and the City drinking,” which I suppose is where a quartet of women down trendy cosmos while wearing trendy shoes. If you’re going to use a cultural touchstone to draw attention to a problem, at least use something recent. Say something like, “Women are drinking like the men on Mad Men.” Then your article won’t seem so stale.

I enjoyed the show but I have never forgiven Sex and the City for popularizing cupcakes. I like cupcakes OK but I have a small mouth and they are hard to eat without getting icing all over my face. Just serve me a piece of cake. I never understood the fascination with cupcakes because they’re just individual slices of cake in a round shape.

Yet for however many years it’s been, it’s been cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes and I’m sick of it. People always invoke that episode where the gang went to the Magnolia Bakery like it happened yesterday and that was, what, 12 years ago now? And the Food Network seemingly has three or four shows dedicated solely to cupcakes. Am I supposed to take seriously any show called Cupcake Wars? It’s not so much the fault of Sex and the City as much as writers who won’t let an ancient (by pop culture standards) episode of a TV show just fucking die already.

If Carrie and the gang were real people, they would have long ago moved on from cupcakes as passé and sought out the next fashionable thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment