Thursday, November 5, 2015

Amortization!


Am I a total dork for making spreadsheets showing how I can best amortize my outstanding credit card debt? *

There are at least three payoff models according to whether I want to pay off the card with the smallest balance first or the card with the lowest interest rate, etc. I basically plotted out the payment amounts for the next few months. These do not include future charges or interest charges, since I’m not that good in math.

What I am good at is making lists and engaging in busywork. I have made endless lists of all the music and comic books I own. Some people doodle when they’re bored; I make lists. I hate being in debt but there’s not much to do but pay it down over time and the busywork distracts me. I’m not good at math in the sense that I can’t do even the most basic calculations without a calculator but I think I am pretty good at managing money. It’s satisfying to see that if I stick to a plan, I’ll eventually be out of credit card debt.

Sigh. I never used to be in credit card debt and used to pay off everything immediately. Enter homeownership and adulthood — like, real adulthood with worn out tires and a leaky roof. I’m on top of it and I have excellent credit and all that but things got a little tight last summer. We had to pay two mortgages for awhile after buying the new house and the house needed furniture and stuff that you always seem to need after you move, no matter how well-prepared you think you are.

But with our tenants in place and paying rent on the old house, we have some breathing room and I can attack this debt. Then we can finally put in place our grand plans. MWAHAHAHAA!

* yes

No comments:

Post a Comment