Monday, February 15, 2016

The Walking Dead S6 E9: No Way Out


Happy Valentine’s Day from The Walking Dead! Steve and I cozied up and enjoyed our holiday by watching Rick’s heart break after seeing his girlfriend torn to pieces along with her children.

Wow, that was fun. The opening to the back nine of season 6 was completely ridiculous but highly enjoyable. It’s insane to see superhero Darryl blowing up Neegan’s soldiers with a bazooka and setting the lake on fire to destroy the zombies (why don’t they use a controlled burn more often?) but it sure was satisfying. I loved how that opening explosion punctured the ponderousness of Neegan’s ringleader’s speech because otherwise, it was too close to a retread of the other times the group got captured by some psychos.

The deaths of Jessie and her kids were rough, what with the (sadly necessary) axe amputation but the scene was also kind of detached since they shot it in that underwater, effects-laden way. I heard Andrew Lincoln say he was disgusted by the deaths in the script so I figured something like this would happen. Still, I could have sworn Judith would die this episode. The show certainly telegraphed it, with the close-up of the child’s face and her being spirited away by the usually incompetent Father Gabriel.

I had also heard some spoilers before that Carl would lose an eye. The parallels with his injury at Hershel’s farm are obvious. There was some nice character work by Michonne, who was panicked for the first time ever after Carl got shot. I loved the quick kiss she gave the injured teen on the forehead. It very effective and built nicely on the bond the two have had for a few seasons.

Leave it to Carol to save the day by shooting that mortally wounded Wolf and asking questions later. All that business gave Dr. Denise more to do and I’m warming to her. I wasn’t really following all the chatter between Carol and Morgan and the two interchangeable women, however. I also have no idea what Enid is doing and have no clue why Glenn is just pausing in the middle of a crisis to chat with her. Talking with a shellshocked person is what nearly got him killed last time.

In the end, I loved the scene of Rick leading the all-hands-on-deck charge to take back Alexandria. I also really loved the quick cuts between all the characters slashing their way through the zombies.

So it was sort of ridiculous but I’d much rather see The Walking Dead in action hero mode than more philosophical discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment