Thursday, December 8, 2016

What I learned from watching the 'Simpsons' marathon


I didn’t watch all 600 episodes, of course, as working and sleeping are important to me. We had the Simpsons marathon on sort of whenever we were home and not doing anything else. Of course we caught some of the classic episodes early on, like “Boy Scoutz ‘n the Hood,” “$pringfield,” “Bart of Darkness,” “A Fish Called Selma” and “A Millhouse Divided.”

I was also interested in seeing some of the later run of the show. I’m sort of ashamed to admit that I haven’t been much of a fan in recent years. While I used to sit down every week to watch a new episode of The Simpsons, I haven’t regularly spent Sunday night with Homer in a long time. I felt the show had become kind of aggravating in the late ‘90s and early 2000s and was too gimmicky like with musical episodes and everyone playing other roles in period pieces, so I drifted away and started doing other things. I stuck with the classic episodes.

The recent episodes were not that bad. Nothing could touch “Bart Gets Famous” or “Marge vs. the Monorail” but I enjoyed them. They were all kind of a blur since I was doing other things during some of the installments but I was still amused. The only thing I didn’t care for was a change they made to the opening credits. I don’t care for how something flies through the clouds in front of the logo at the very beginning. It should just be that timeless shot of the clouds parting.

My verdict: Still pretty good. We all miss the old Simpsons and the show won’t hit the heights of “Rosebud” again. But it doesn’t have to. It was more than enough of an accomplishment that it hit those heights once.

No comments:

Post a Comment