Friday, April 27, 2012

Let's Not Do Lunch


I saw a point-counterpoint on some website recently about eating lunch at your desk. One side argued that it’s healthier to leave your office for an hour and enjoy lunch. Another side argued that it’s better to eat at your desk and get out of there quicker at the end of the day.

I am in the latter camp. I almost always bring lunch and eat it right at my desk. Once in awhile, I will go to the salad bar at the supermarket or something terribly decadent. Since the weather is getting warmer, I will again eat lunch in my car at the nearby park on some days, so I can at least feel a balmy breeze. Mostly, however, I brown bag it and take a few minutes to eat sitting here.

I never cared that much about lunch anyway. I always eat breakfast and put emphasis on dinner so lunch is just kind of there for me. This is why it’s odd on a business trip to take people out to lunch and have these big meals — I’d rather a sandwich. I’m trying to save money so I’m even cutting down on my salad bar excursions. I have never been one to eat out with coworkers. That can get expensive after awhile. Even if you spend $10 a day on lunch, that’s $50 a week or $200 a month and I have better things to spend that money on. Honestly, I’m fine with a chicken sandwich that I made at home and some fruit.

Technically, I don’t work through lunch because I eat it while online doing whatever, so there is a mental break. Fifteen minutes is fine with me. I’ve never needed an hour. Once in awhile, I do run errands so I’ll take a little longer, but if I took an hour, there wouldn’t be much to fill it.

Sometimes it would be nice to get a break and get out since I don’t have a window. That only bothers me in the nice weather. What am I going to do in January — drive around and look at the sleet? I do work at home once a week so that is a change of scenery. I can eat on the deck if I want.

I’ve never gotten the concept of a siesta. I would much rather plow through work in eight hours and go home. It’s impractical for me to take a two- or three-hour break during the afternoon. I can’t afford to take some long lunch or go shopping every day so there’s no point hanging out in the vicinity of the office. It would take me an hour to go home and then I’d have to come right back. It also would not be relaxing at all, as it would double my daily drive time from two to four hours. I also wouldn’t want to get home at 7:30 or 8.

I prefer working the American way: Get it done, go home and enjoy your life while there’s enough daylight left. I can handle eight hours a day. HonestlHon

No comments:

Post a Comment