Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Slow Down

I have started driving a little slower during my commute from work. I read somewhere that every 5 mph that you drive over 60 mph decreases your fuel efficiency by a certain amount, so I’m sticking to 60. This is a switch from my usual tearing down 202 like a bat out of hell.

Yes, I’m that guy puttering along on the right lane. I only started last week so I don’t know yet if it’s making a difference. It’s not taking any longer to get to or from work. I’m only doing this during my commute since Steve would probably laugh at me doing only the speed limit on I-495 when we’re out on the weekends. Incidentally, I’m taking I-95 more in Delaware since it’s apparently a shorter route so maybe that will help my gas mileage.

With gas prices so laughably insane, I’ll give it a shot and see if it helps. Gas is a little cheaper in Delaware, especially at BJ’s but it’s still like $3.75, not much cheaper than the BP down the street. I try to get gas near home since it’s a little cheaper. I once went way down almost to empty because we had an office Christmas party way up in New Hope so I went all the way home on fumes to get to BJ’s for cheap gas. The warning light came on and everything. BJ’s gas can be a pain, though. There’s usually a long line and the pumps are slow. They say the pumps will reach around if your gas tank is on the opposite side but they really don’t.

There are certain things I won’t do to increase gas mileage. I have read that some of the more extreme “hypermilers” will tailgate trucks and turn off their engines so the drag pulls them along. Ain’t no way. They also say you shouldn’t sit idle at a red light or in traffic for more than 30 seconds or something but I’m not shifting gears and turning on and off my engine every five seconds while crawling on 202. However, I am trying to coast along a little, especially downhill.

It does help that I’m able to work from home one day a week. I save gas and sanity. Plus, I get a lot done at home as I can “stay” late since I’m already home and I can get laundry and stuff done. My commute will get easier when the schools get out and people start taking more days off in the summer. The springtime is the worst for driving since I swear people come out of the woodwork to enjoy the weather and run errands at 8 a.m. that could easily wait until after rush hour.

My car is just about to hit 100,000 miles in less than five years. I will hang on to my Civic as long as I possibly can and knock on wood, it should last for some time longer. I had considered some type of hybrid but I’m not sure how cost effective it would be. It’s extra money up front and I don’t know how long it would be before I save some on gas. I had read about one electric car that they only go 40 miles before they need a charge and that would not work for me since my commute is 30-some miles each way. What am I going to do, charge it up at lunch? Who am I kidding anyway? We all know I’m just going to trade my Civic in for another one. When the time comes, I should get one in the same shade of red and see who notices it’s a new car.

Still, it’s annoying to slow down on the highway and get passed by everyone, almost emasculating, but I’d rather have a little extra cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment