Monday, April 30, 2012

The Worst Injustice in American History


Have you heard about the couple at the Rangers game who caught a foul ball and did not give it to the crying child next to them? I can say, without exaggeration, that this is the worst injustice in American history.

You know, you think you’ve seen the worst society has to offer … and then this happens. Then two heartless people will not surrender a baseball to an innocent child. This video is hard to watch due to the inhumanity of everyone involved. I screamed in outrage and wept for hours after facing this kind of baseball-related evil. This couple deserves all the hate being rained down upon them; hate that should follow them for the rest of their lives.

I assure you: My reaction is completely proportionate to the level of offense.

Clearly, these people are total monsters by not giving up the ball. This is akin to ripping presents from the grasp of a poor child on Christmas morning, and then laughing a callous laugh, and then grounding the kids for two months. Can you imagine the bitterness, the anger, the hate this child will have in his heart after encountering these evil bastards? I have profound concerns about how this child will grow up. Toddlers don’t just bounce back from trauma like this. I know that I remember every single denial of pleasure that made me cry at age 2. I forgot none of it. It festered inside me until it made my soul blacken and shrivel. I will take those ancient hurts with me to my grave.

You know, I … I never told this to anyone … but when I was a kid, my parents bought me an ice cream cone and after I ate it, I wanted a second ice cream cone. My parents said no and I had a screaming hissyfit right there. My parents still would not give me what I wanted. I’ve always thought that if I did get that second cone … well, I might be a happier person.

People are right to be appalled at this unconscionable action on Twitter and Facebook. This catastrophe is inflaming intense debate throughout this country and it is a debate that should not fade until we all take a long look at ourselves — a long look at a society that could permit this kind of wickedness. We need to have a national forum on this incident.

Even worse, some equally heartless monsters in this country actually agree that the child was not entitled to the ball. I never want to meet these people. This country has never been as divided as it has over this debate; not even during the Civil War.

If there’s any consolation, it’s that these people will be hounded throughout their lives by those who will shame them for their extreme cruelty. The memory of what they did will no doubt haunt them to their dying day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment