Monday, February 25, 2013

I had the most princely dream


I dreamed that I was at a Prince concert. I have been a fan for about 25 years and have never seen him live. I finally did.

The concert was in some kind of small auditorium like at an elementary school. Prince opened with “Little Red Corvette.” I was wondering why I was not that excited, especially since it was my first time seeing him and you think I’d be screaming and singing along. Nobody else was excited either. The second song was “Sign ‘o’ the Times,” which Prince played at a barely audible level. I love this song but I really think it’s the most depressing top 10 hit ever. Here are some sample lyrics:

“In France a skinny man died of a big disease with a little name.”
“Hurricane Annie ripped the ceiling off a church and killed everyone inside.”
“Sister killed her baby because she couldn’t afford to feed it.”
“If the night falls and a bomb falls, will anybody see the dawn?”

This got airplay? Anyhoo, after “Sign ‘o’ the Times,” people started leaving. I thought that was odd. Two clowns started dancing around as some sort of interlude. I figured Prince was taking a break after two songs and some “special guests” were performing instead.

I frequently have dreams about concerts I’ve never been to. This is my second most common dream, after the dreams I have about having to move back to one of my old apartments, which I have almost every night. I sometimes dream about seeing Madonna live and sometimes it’s at some odd elementary school auditorium, like the Prince show. Sometimes she’ll be re-enacting her previous tours and they will be very elaborate and intriguing and I’ll wake up and be disappointed that the show never happened.

Anyhoo, the point is that I really need to get tickets the next time Prince tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment