Thursday, December 19, 2013

Brian's I'm-a-Couch-Potato Top TV of 2013


Oh, here we go. I watch a lot more TV than I go to the movies and I agree with the argument that TV is better quality than the movies these days since there are shows I will not miss but very few movies that I have to see immediately. Here’s the best of what I saw in 2013. (There are a few shows that would score high on this list, such as Mad Men and Veep but I’m still catching up and didn’t see a 2013 episode of either.)

9. The Goldbergs. I find The Goldbergs to be delightful with the great touch of ending every episode with the actual ‘80s home videos from the show’s creator that portray what the episode recalled. The show is more than just a greatest hits parade of ‘80s kitsch since the family dynamics have an emotional truth that transcends the decade. At first the anachronisms bothered me as the show mixed up cultural touchstones from different points in the decade but I realized they don’t matter because that’s how families remember things: We don’t always remember what year something happened and events get all mixed up in time.

8. American Horror Story: Coven. I will have to wait until the series ends to see what point it might be trying to get at. The show is worth it to watch Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates chew scenery.

7. The Walking Dead. I finally gave in and started watching, despite my disinterest in zombies. We just finished season 3, which notably improved on season 2’s torpor at the farm. I was happy to see the season end with Rick realizing how cold he’d become to strangers and letting some Woodbury people stay at the prison. When the world is overrun with zombies, humans can’t afford to go killing (or not trying to save) what few humans are left, not without a really compelling reason.

6. House of Cards. This show was a fun, campy potboiler. I don’t know enough about the inner workings of politics to know if it’s realistic but one thing I do question is why Kevin Spacey would leave the gorgeous, commanding Robin Wright to have an affair with annoying, ferret-faced Kate Mara. I assume season 2 will be about Spacey’s fragile power falling like the titular house of cards, given the awful thing he did in season 1, which I’m sure won’t stay a secret for long.

5. Parks and Recreation. I guess NBC will just show this sporadically whenever it wants between reruns of Ow! My Balls! or whatever’s on that network now. Parks and Rec, despite not quite being able to hit the delirious high notes of seasons 3 and 4, is still a riot. I am happy to see the characters’ situations evolving, with Leslie being recalled from council and Ann and Chris leaving Pawnee.

4. The Middle. This show is criminally underrated and gives me the loudest laughs of any sitcoms on TV. Not since Roseanne has a sitcom taking such a bracing look at what the lower middle class has to go through to survive. The cast is absolutely stellar.

3. Orange Is the New Black. Speaking of a stellar cast, I’ve never seen one like this incredibly diverse group of women prisoners. This show was a little picaresque for me at first and didn’t lead to urgent viewing until the last few episodes really moved the plot along. The best part of this show is the sympathetic back stories that so many of the women get and I need many more of these back stories, including for characters like Taystee, Poussey and the nun. The characters are much more than easy caricatures, which I saw clearly in the heartbreaking scene when bug-eyed Suzanne asked Piper why everyone calls her Crazy Eyes.

2. The Americans. Oh God I can’t wait until this show returns in February. It is an absolutely riveting, pulpy look at Soviet spies in America in the early ‘80s. The spies not only go on thrilling missions but also have to deal with their ambivalence toward their marriage and ostensible American citizenship. The most thrilling moment all season was a rightfully enraged Keri Russell beating the hell out of Margo Martindale, waterboarding her and screaming “Show them your face!” Then there are all the ‘80s wigs, costumes and music. Tusk!

1. Breaking Bad. People who know me are probably sick of hearing me proselytize about this show but Breaking Bad is one of those rare cultural phenomena that deserves the universal, sometimes hysterical praise it gets. I thought the series kept getting better and by season 5, it had earned its title as my favorite show of all time. The series climaxed with the perfect episode of television, “Ozymandias,” and wound down with two hours of denouement that actually did tie up most of the loose ends and gave Walter White a poetic ending. This show was a rare combination of staggering levels of acting, writing and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment