Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Brian's I'm-Not-Well-Rounded Top Albums of 2013


I listen to new music more often than I go to the movies but not too much more. Here is how I rank the narrow list of new music I heard in 2013.

9. Delta Machine by Depeche Mode. Back when artists would release at least one album per year, it was easy to brush off a bad one because a new album would be along shortly. Today it’s disappointing when an artist releases a bad album, especially when that artist is on a schedule of one album per presidential inauguration. Depeche Mode was away for four years and this is what they came up with? What a waste of my time and theirs.

8. The 20/20 Experience by Justin Timberlake. I won’t be back for part 2 (of 2). It’s OK but the songs go on way too long without justification. I like the trill effect on the single “Suit and Tie” but I don’t get the accolades for “Mirror.” As a love song, it’s narcissistic and misguided because if you tell someone “It’s like you’re my mirror,” you’re really saying “When I look at you, all I see is myself.”

7. Artpop by Lady Gaga. I only listed to Artpop (I stand corrected — ARTPOP) once and will give it a few more spins. It’s alright but unbalanced. On the good side are the seductive “Do What U Want” and slurred ballad “Dope,” while on the bad side are first single “Applause,” which sounds generic to me, and the terrible “Venus.” I am a little disappointed that after all Lady Gaga’s talk about merging art and pop, so many of the songs have that same-y car alarm dance sound. There should be more variety. 

6. Reflektor by Arcade Fire. I’m not sure what to make of it yet. I like “Here Comes the Night” but during the title track, I get a little tired of hearing the word “Reflektor” after they repeat it 2,700 times.

5. Thr!!!er by !!!. This wasn’t the band’s best work but was still a fun album, although a little mellower than previous efforts.

4. Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails. The title apparently refers to the marks people leave on their wrists when they try to slit them but don’t go through with it so Hesitation Marks is sort of a sequel to The Downward Spiral in which we find out what happened to the guy after he didn’t commit suicide. I love the aggression of “Copy of a” and other songs like “Satellite” and “Came Back Haunted.” “Everything” is bizarrely upbeat and sounds out of place. My only complaint is starting the album with some ponderous instrumental bullshit like “The Eater of Dreams.” If you have a great song like “Copy of a,” just open the album with that instead of some droning intro.

3. Nanobots by They Might Be Giants. I love how They Might Be Giants sort of reprised “Fingertips” with the handful of short tracks interspersed through the album, like “Hive Mind,” “Decision Makers,” “Nouns” and “There.” I liked Nanobots much more than some of their recent work.

2. Electric by Pet Shop Boys. After the snoozefest album Elysium, the Pet Shop Boys returned nine months later (as if issuing a corrective) with the wonderful Electric, a collection of nine bangers. It’s PSB’s vintage combination of dance floor sounds with a very specific brand of romantic and social commentary, as in “Love Is a Bourgeois Construct.” I love the hysterical overstimulation of “Shouting in the Evening” and album closer “Vocal.”

1. The Next Day by David Bowie. In contrast with number 9 on this list, a decade was worth the wait for new material from Bowie, considering both its quality and that everyone assumed he had slid into retirement. The Next Day is his best album in ages, opening with the title track, which stomps with a defiant energy that contrasts with morbid lyrics like “Here I am/ Not quite dying/ My body left to rot in a hollow tree.” Other highlights are “The Stars (Are Out Tonight)” and album closer “Heat,” in which Bowie croons creepy lyrics like “My father ran the prison” like a man walking to the gallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment