Monday, December 9, 2013

Well, that was fun


Did my snark draw the wrath of Mother Nature? Were my loved ones being punished yesterday because I made one too many comments that mocked the snow?

You know I can’t miss an opportunity to laugh at the panic over the weather. I mostly just ridicule the idea that people think they’re going to be stuck indoors for weeks and starve to death when most people in this area have at least somewhere to walk to so they can get food. Yesterday actually did turn out to be a hot mess, though. I guess it’s because nobody was prepared. I was surprised to see it start snowing yesterday morning. I was at the gym and when I finally got off my machine and turned around to leave, it was a winter wonderland.

I usually don’t let weather keep me from doing what I want but yesterday I sort of did. I was on my way to my parents’ for dinner and it was fine at first driving through Delaware up 202; just a little slow. By the time I hit Route 1, I could see the brake lights ahead were not moving at all. I called my parents and told them I was turning around and going home. God knows what time I would have gotten to their house and I noticed the cars sliding around on the back roads and took it as a sign that I shouldn’t push my luck.

That was a minor inconvenience but what happened to Steve was a major inconvenience. He was stuck on I-95 and it took six hours for him to get home from Delco. For some perspective, we can make it to Ohio in eight hours. I felt bad because I knew he was crawling along the highway and I wished there was something I could have done.

At least I got to see an unforgettable Eagles game. I absolutely love watching football in the snow and the sight of snow falling so hard that it looked like static on the screen was glorious. That is the way football should be played and I wished I could have been down there. Oh, and we won.

I left a half hour early for work this morning and got to work a half hour early because I didn’t have any problems. One good thing about the snow is if you time it just right, everybody stays home and you can just zip on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment