Friday, April 11, 2014

Late Night Blab


The idea of Stephen Colbert as David Letterman’s successor on The Late Show is intriguing. I’ve heard that he will break his Colbert Report character to take on the new job and I wonder how he will handle that departure on the show and whether they will make that some kind of storyline.

The new show might be the first time we’re seeing the “real” Stephen Colbert since he’s otherwise been a conservative spoof on his most high profile show. I wonder if he will translate his humor to the traditional late-night interview model or if he will bend the format to fit him. This might actually make me watch a late-night show. I would usually only watch Letterman once in awhile when Madonna was on. These days, “late night” for me on weeknights is anytime after 9 when I’m struggling to stay awake as Jarvis has me pinned to the couch.

I’ll miss Colbert on The Colbert Report as I’ve found his commitment to character fascinating. In contrast, and I know I’m going to get raked over the coals, but I am really getting sick of John Stewart.

I don’t know what inside me snapped but I can barely tolerate a lot of The Daily Show anymore. The interviews are OK but the monologue grates on me. The sound of the audience cackling and shrieking like howler monkeys cuts through me like a dentist’s drill. It just fills my entire consciousness in an unpleasant way. It’s like Stewart’s always screaming. I can’t stand when Stewart does his stupid little voices and imitations, especially his execrable New Jersey gangster accent (or whatever you’d call it). It’s not so-bad-it’s-good; it’s just bad and he should feel bad and stop doing it.

The “discomfort humor” of the interviews just bothers me. Some of the politicians deserve to be called out but I just feel bad for some of them because not all of them seem to warrant the treatment. The one white guy correspondent annoyed me a few months ago when he went into a local government meeting and did some Music Man routine (the one they parodied on The Simpsons with the monorail) and even if the people at the meeting were in on it, he just came off like a complete asshole while they were just trying to go about their business. Samantha Bee can be very funny but twice now she has done some bizarre one-woman avant garde show making fun of whatever Fox News show is on. I just didn’t find it funny at all either time and they lasted longer than the usual segments, which made it worse, since the producers seemed inordinately pleased with themselves, enough to bring back the idea a second time.

And please, John Stewart, have Bill O’Reilly on for the 94th time so the two of you can vamp on the same points over and over again like an old Vaudeville act. If there’s one thing I need, it’s another coat of glaze on my eyeballs. Haha! They’re opposites!

I won’t refuse to watch The Daily Show or anything but just don’t enjoy it like I used to. I don’t care about getting Stewart’s take on the events of the day. This is not the fault of the show but it’s the most overanalyzed and overexposed thing in the media. There is more than one website that has an update every morning analyzing what The Daily Show did last night and how John Stewart totally dismantled whatever is going on. I don’t read any of these recaps but I have to wonder why does this show still get this kind of analysis every day after all these years? Dramas and comedies get recaps online but a recap of a show that runs four nights a week seems excessive.

Jessica Williams is still a riot, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment