Friday, April 18, 2014

Twerk It, Mylie



The words on the windshield of the car sideswiped me as I rounded the corner yesterday on my way home from work: “Twerk It, Mylie” in bold white letters on the front of the black sports car.

Who are these people? What exactly does this bold statement mean? The car was gone in an instant but the sight of this raised so many questions and emotions in me. On this Good Friday, I’d like to ponder exactly what all of means.

Of course, I’m familiar with Mylie Cyrus’ twerking act. (It’s so heartening to know the Microsoft Office diligently update their dictionary. I’ve already typed “twerk” and “twerking” and spell check has yet to underline either in red.) I’m generally out of it as far as pop music so I think I only heard “We Can’t Stop” once at a bar and I was very bored and underwhelmed. I never actually heard or saw the full version of her twerking with Robin Thicke at the MTV Awards. I’ve only seen clips on mute on the TV at the gym. I’m not opposed to certain antics on stage but from what I saw, the problem was not the twerking. The problem was that she wasn’t twerking very well. For a dance that was a prominent part of her act, I was surprised that so little effort seemed to have gone into the choreography. Mylie was just kind of flopping around.

So I’m wondering what the huge “Twerk, It Mylie,” big enough to obscure the bottom half of the driver’s view, could mean. From the quick glance I saw a man and woman in their 20s in the car. Are they just fans of Mylie and her ass-dancing or is there more to it? Some companies will pay you to drive around with their logos all over the car (which is a great way to make extra cash) so maybe this was some kind of ad for Mylie’s tour or something. You know, just to raise awareness of someone who really needs a higher profile.

Maybe the logo was some kind of empowerment, like “You Go, Girl,” except a lot more specific about how to go and who the girl is. “Twerk” may just be some kind of general affirmation or something. Maybe they chant this as a mantra in some new religion.

It’s probably just a fan. I wonder how permanent this lettering is on the car. I’m assuming it comes off easily. I would hope so. This will look very dated soon. A few years ago, the sentence “Twerk It, Mylie” would have made no sense to anyone. A few years from now, this sentence also may not mean anything to people. Us old timers would have to fill people in on the legend of Mylie Cyrus and the pink teddy bears grinding up on the Foot Locker employee. Few things are permanent in pop music, no matter how much buzz they generate today. Remember the Jonas Brothers? Me neither. This is why I don’t alter my car with anything with a shelf life: You never want to be the guy driving around with the Kerry/Edwards ’04 bumper sticker.

Thought provoking, right? I’ll be pondering this for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment