Friday, June 12, 2015

Elegy for Elsmere


It’s not like we’re going too far and we’ll still be around working in the garden. We also haven’t sold or rented the house yet so for now it’s a pied-à-terre. Still, with the movers coming tomorrow to take our furniture, this is our last night sleeping in Elsmere.

Steve and I have been referring to the new house as “the house” and the Elsmere house as “our house” or “home.” Tomorrow that will officially reverse.

I’m excited about the new house but will miss the old one. We have had a lot of good memories: Chatting outside with our neighbors, Christmas parties, watching thunderstorms from the deck, having family over for dinner, hanging out with the cats while watching TV. It was a good place for nine years, this house with red and blue and green walls. It will be emotional for me to leave, despite the fact that we are tied there (and will inevitably be back to hardcore clean and work out things with the new people).

Even though we’ve been planning this move for years, it’s still hard to believe it’s happening. What is really bringing it home is that I’ve started taking paintings and pictures off the wall. I had resisted doing that because it’s distracting to see all the bare spots. Now the walls look empty and the house looks bigger and has more echoes. God knows how I’ll feel tomorrow to see all the furniture gone.

The Elsmere house is the place I’ve lived the longest since I lived at home. I still have a lot of memories from my two apartments and it was bittersweet at first to leave them and sleep somewhere different. I remember everywhere I’ve lived with some fondness.

I am also very excited about the new house. We’ve finished painting and have some new furniture. We finally got in the pool after the weather cleared and the filter started working. We’re eager to have people see it once we clean up the hurricane of boxes.

I will also be excited to live in one place, rather than shuttling possessions back and forth. My God, we have a lot of crap. Like, a loooootttt.

No comments:

Post a Comment