Friday, June 5, 2015

What this whole Caitlyn Jenner thing is really about


Me.

Caitlyn Jenner’s coming out as transgender is actually about me.

I need to approve the existence of a transgender woman because this is all about my comfort level and my values and my life. I would have appreciated Vanity Fair giving me advance notice of Jenner’s cover just to have a head’s up on what I’d be looking at for the next several days online. Basically, the way this woman leads her life requires my stamp of approval.

Don’t get me wrong: I think it’s wonderful that she’s happy and I have no problem with trans people. I just think it would be more considerate for Caitlyn and other trans people to take my feelings into account before doing anything in public. Just as a courtesy.

Again, this is about me, in the same way that things like the police protests in Baltimore, campus rapes, the FIFA scandal and the circumcision of infants are mainly about me. I am only capable of perceiving other people’s issues as light reflected through the beautiful, glittering prism of myself.

Anyway, that’s what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment