Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Plays: 0


I had to buy a new laptop recently because the old one was slow enough that it became an incompetent paperweight. In migrating over my iTunes library, I somehow lost the play counts for all my music.

This annoyed me, even though I know it’s a petty complaint when you are financially OK enough to just run out and buy a laptop. I feel like I worked hard on that library and the play counts were almost like a legacy. I was always curious to see how many times I had listened to the most popular songs. I feel like I’ve lost something. Sometimes I wonder how many times I’ve played my favorite songs over a lifetime that stretches back well beyond MP3s. What records, tapes or CDs have I listened to most frequently? Is that what computers have done to me: Made it impossible to tell how much I love art unless I quantify it with a number?

For the record, the final count on the old laptop was 65 plays for “All I Want” by LCD Soundsystem. The runner-up was 64 plays for Madonna’s “Ray of Light.” The listing of my most-played songs was not necessarily my favorite songs because they tended heavily toward my running playlists so there were not a lot of ballads on there.

Now I start over at zero and my library is a virgin territory of unplayed songs. Upgrading a computer is a great equalizer. Years ago it annoyed me that I hadn’t played every song on my iPod at least once so I hit “play” and listened to every song in order. It was kind of fun, if repetitive when I had several versions of the same song play back-to-back. So now I have to do that again. It will be fun again, listening to songs I rarely hear.

Yes, I still listen to music on a plain old iPod instead of a smart phone. My iPod has 160 GB of storage, 40 of which is full. I highly prize the real estate space, which seems much higher than on smart phones, and will give up this device only when it has smoke coming out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment