Friday, September 2, 2016

Let's Play Hungry Hungry Hippos


Now we seem to be playing the waiting game with adoption. Our caseworker came to the house this week to interview us and once the home study report is done, they’ll start the search for a child.

I was nervous about the home study but it was fine. We had to answer questions about what we wrote in the application, stuff like naming our greatest strengths and weaknesses. Those are hard for me to answer but it really wasn’t that bad. I don’t know what I expected. I guess I thought there would be really probing questions that would make me rip out my soul to answer them or whatever. I suppose I was expecting more of a grilling but Steve and I really already did that in our autobiographies. It was mostly relaxed and pleasant.

We toured the house and checked all the rooms. Of course Steve and I had cleaned, partially to put the best face on our house (without it looking staged and fake; you have to expect a human amount of disorganization) and partially because weekends are for cleaning. We didn’t get any kind of white glove treatment and she didn’t walk around the house pointing out non-babyproofed things and saying “That won’t do.” She also said the pool was fine.

E X H A L E

I had been worried that the agency would balk at the pool over water safety issues. I didn’t want to have to put up a fence right around the pool or anything like that. We would have done it if they asked but I wasn’t looking forward to the cost or aesthetics. Besides, we have childproof locks on the screen doors and alarms. We also have some experience with kids in the pool with all the young swimmers we’ve had so we are aware of water safety. I guess my overactive pessimistic imagination was telling me our caseworker would tell us “Fill in the pool or no child for you!”

Junior’s room isn’t ready yet, although we are formulating a plan. The caseworker said not to buy any furniture yet since we don’t know the exact age. I’m going to paint that room when we can open the windows, just to have something to do to prepare.

I asked about a timeline and got the answer I expected: they can’t tell us much. I’m sure this will take a few months, especially since we’re looking for an infant or toddler and those children are in demand in the foster system. I believe they will be sending us a list of possible kids periodically. I don’t mind a wait so we can prepare, especially since I know the wheels are turning.

So it’s a huge relief to me that someone has actually come to our house and sat down to talk to us individually. It makes me feel better to see that fat binder with our paperwork inside and that now it’s more visible and tangible than it was before. I remain excited and nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment