Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sincerely


Awhile back, I read someone make the argument that we should no longer end our emails with any type of closing. Messages should just stop. No “sincerely.” No “best.” No “yours.” Just … end.

I don’t think this is a good idea. For personal emails, it doesn’t matter as much because I don’t think I need to start my messages to my husband with “Dear Steve” and end with “Sincerely” and my full name. But for business emails, it’s just common courtesy to have a salutation and closing. I always say “Dear Dr. Foot” and close with “Sincerely” and my name and address. I don’t think it matters much exactly what you use since some people will drop the “Dear” and just use the person’s name for an opener and people have variations on the closing.

I think you need something for professional emails, though. If you just start asking your question with no preamble, it can come off as rude and demanding. You wouldn’t call someone and not say hello or goodbye and you wouldn’t walk into a rom and just start conducting business with someone. There’s no harm in exchanging a few pleasantries in emails.

I believe the argument against the email closings was the time-honored refrain of “This is just the way it is in the age of Twitter and blah blah blah something about Millennials.” Maybe the world’s communications have changed in the last few years but you know what? If you’re in the business world, you’re going to deal with a lot of middle aged people like me who remember the proper way to write a letter and they might think you’re rude for just launching into your business.

Sure, that’s what we need in today’s communications: Even less courtesy.

Sincerely,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment